Elections Results 2019: Will not work with bad intentions, will take everyone along, says Modi
Addressing the victory celebration at the party headquarters here, he said that the mandate won by the BJP-led coalition was the biggest development in the democratic world and reflected an abiding strength in a democracy
New Delhi: Accepting the resounding poll victory, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday promised that he will not work with "bad intentions" and that he would like to move ahead by taking everyone along, leaving behind the bitterness witnessed during the Lok Sabha campaign.
Addressing the victory celebration at the party headquarters here, he said that the mandate won by the BJP-led coalition was the biggest development in the democratic world and reflected an abiding strength in a democracy.
"With bigger mandate, comes greater responsibility...I will not do anything with bad intention and and will do nothing for myself.
"Who said what during the election campaign, for me it is past. We have to look to the future. We have to take everyone along in national interest. And despite such a majority, we will move with humility," Modi said.
"In 2014, not many knew me. But you gave me a mandate. But in 2019, you gave me more strength after knowing me. I can understand the sentiment behind this. Increase in trust leads to increase in responsibilty," he added.
In a virtual address to the nation, the Prime Minister promised that in the coming days, he would do nothing with bad intentions.
"While working, there can be mistakes but I will not anything with bad intention. I will not do anything for myself. Third thing, every second of my time, every part of the body is only for the nation. You keep judging me on these three parameters and criticise me if I do not measure up. But I want to assure you that whatever I say publicly, I will work to implement it," he said.
Promising to take everyone along including the states, Modi said a government is formed by a majority which has been done. "But the nation moves with consensus and democratic spirit."
Modi said he will take his critics along with humility.
"The people have filled the bag of this ascetic. I bow my head to 130 crore people of the country," he said.
Earlier in the day, he also tweeted, "Thank you India! The faith placed in our alliance is humbling and gives us strength to work even harder to fulfil people's aspirations. I salute every BJP Karyakarta for their determination, perseverance & hardwork. They went home to home, elaborating on our development agenda."
Thank you India! The faith placed in our alliance is humbling and gives us strength to work even harder to fulfil people's aspirations.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 23, 2019
I salute every BJP Karyakarta for their determination, perseverance & hardwork. They went home to home, elaborating on our development agenda.
(With inputs from IANS)
Top Election Results 2019 stories
- Election Results 2019: Modi wave across India as BJP supporters rejoice
- Lok Sabha election results 2019: As Smriti Irani wins in Amethi, meet her cutest supporter
- Inside Photos: Uddhav, Aaditya Thackeray with Devendra Fadnavis at Matoshree in Bandra
- Election Results 2019: Shiv Sena supporters celebrate with laddoos at Sena Bhavan in Dadar
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: Hema Malini congratulates 'architect' Narendra Modi on Twitter
- Arnab Goswami accidentally refers to Sunny Deol as 'Sunny Leone'; Netizens go crazy
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: BJP-Sena combine leads in 44 seats, NCP in 3 in Maharashtra
- Lok Sabha Election Results 2019: Smriti Irani leads Rahul Gandhi; twitter goes berserk!
- Lok Sabha Election Results 2019: Sunny Deol's 'dhai kilo ka haath' too much for Sunil Jakhar
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: Narendra Modi congratulates Naveen Patnaik for retaining Odisha
- Election 2019: Urmila Matondkar files complaint with EC alleging mismatch in signatures on EVM form
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Election results 2019: Narendra Modi dedicates historic win to all Indians