Father, son electrocuted to death in Uttar Pradesh
The duo died on the spot, while five other family members sustained minor burns
Banda: Two members of a family in Uttar Pradesh's Banda district were electrocuted to death after coming in contact with a high-voltage wire that fell on their house, police said on Wednesday. The deceased identified as Pappu Khan (47) and his son, Safiq (17), were sleeping outside their house in Badegaon village when the overhead wire fell on their house late on Tuesday night, Naraini Circle Officer Kuldeep Gupta stated. The duo died on the spot, while five other family members sustained minor burns. The bodies have been sent for post-mortem, the officer added.
In another incident, Two women were electrocuted when they came into contact with a live wire, police said. The incident occurred in Thirubuvanai village near Pondicherry. The deceased identified as Sengeni (65) and Vijaya (55) had gone out to pluck vegetables from a garden near their house when the incident took place. Both the women died instantly, police said. The relatives of the women, who went in search of them, saw them lying dead in the garden and reported the matter to the police. As per reports, Police has registered a case has been registered and an investigation is underway. A strong wind had swept across the village on Tuesday night snapping the overhead power line which the women had accidentally stamped on, said the police.
With inputs from PTI
Top five news stories of the day
The Dutch mystery: Did missing man's wife get him to sign restraining affidavit?
Sharmila Shinde had sensed her husband Avdhut would kill her in a foreign land, which made her so scared to shift to the Netherlands that she made him sign an affidavit solemnly declaring he won't harm or kill her, her friends and neighbours told mid-day. Meanwhile, mid-day has also obtained a call recording where Avdhut can be heard reassuring Sharmila he won’t murder her. (Read full story)
Zee TV producer died of drowning in Aarey pond, reveals primary report
The primary report on the cause of death of the senior producer at Zee TV, Sohan Chauhan on Sunday, has revealed drowning. His last rites were performed on Monday in the presence of his wife, brother and other relatives. The family has made no complaint, the police said. During the investigation, the cops from Aarey police station checked CCTV footage in which he was seen coming out of the lift around 3.45am on Sunday. He had a bottle of Thums Up in one hand. Instead of using the main gate to exit, he was seen going out from the back gate towards the pond in which he was found drowned. (Read full story)
Mumbai Crime: Rape case filed against CPI (M) leader's son at Oshiwara
The Oshiwara police have registered a case of rape and cheating against Binoy Kodiyeri, the son of CPI (M) state secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan. The party is currently in power in Kerala. The accused has denied all allegations in a press statement in Kerala. (Read full story)
Mumbai: RPF plans to sweep LTT clean of errant auto, taxi drivers
The Railway Protection Force (RPF) has come up with a master plan to put an end to errant auto and taxi drivers fleecing commuters at the Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT). The officers have written to the Regional Transport Office (RTO) seeking their help in executing the plan, which would be implemented on a war-footing. (Read full story)
Mumbai: BMC might use 'readymade' bridges to solve traffic crisis
To solve the traffic chaos following the closure of many bridges in the city, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is thinking of using pre-fabricated bridges. These can be installed within three months at the required spot. However, their cost and technicalities are yet to be explored by the BMC. (Read full story)
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai building collapse claims 5 lives