I contractually maintain to not endorse tobacco products, says Ajay Devgn after fan's appeal
"I contractually maintain to not endorse tobacco products," said Ajay Devgn after the cancer patient, who is also his fan made an appeal to stop endorsing nicotine products
A week after a cancer patient urged Ajay Devgn to stop advertising tobacco products, the Bollywood actor on Tuesday said he makes a conscious effort to not promote anything that impacts the society negatively.
Nanakram, a 40-year-old cancer patient from Rajasthan, had made a public appeal to Devgn to discontinue his association with tobacco products in the interest of the society. The patient's family said that he was a fan of the actor and used the same product which the actor advertises for but now realises that tobacco has had an adverse effect on his life.
Devgn told PTI he is in touch with the fan and even contractually maintains he will not promote tobacco.
Also Read: Ajay Devgn: I've stopped playing pranks
"I have always maintained in my contracts that I am not promoting tobacco. Whatever the ads are, they are of ilaaichi (cardamom) and my contract says it will be non-tobacco. So if the same company is selling something else, I don't know what to do," he said. The actor added at the most he can try his best not to smoke on screen if his character does not demand it.
"In my latest film, "De De Pyaar De", I'm playing a regular man who does not smoke. But if I'm playing a Malik bhai in a film like 'Company', how will it be without smoking? Without taking any names, we were playing somebody (real) who smoked. So it would have been wrong to not show it as it would not be true to the role," Devgn told PTI.
Also featuring Tabu and Rakul Preet Singh, "De De Pyaar De" is slated to be released Friday.
Top entertainment stories of the day:
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra talks about her fitness app; reveals how she looks like a million bucks at 43
- Rakul Preet Singh: Don't have a godfather offering me work
- Revealed! How pilate trainer Namrata Purohit trained Sonakshi Sinha and Kangana Ranaut
- From real to reel: Deepika Padukone to play Ranveer Singh's wife in '83
- Did you know that Sanjay Dutt suggested the role of Maharani in Sadak?
- Bhumi Pednekar: Ayushmann Khurrana and I trust each other as actors
- Cannes 2019 photos: Hina Khan in pink pantsuit is nothing but classy!
- Cannes 2019: Should Deepika Padukone wear red on the red carpet?
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe