Mumbai Crime: Man rapes critical patient's HIV+ sister on Sion Hospital roof
In a chilling incident that authorities have been trying to cover up since Friday, drunk man takes HIV+ woman to terrace on the pretext of helping her and assaults her; dean in denial mode and cops refuse to reveal identity of accused
Despite security provided by two separate agencies at Sion hospital, a 37-year-old woman, who is HIV positive, was allegedly raped in the middle of the day on the hospital's terrace on Friday. The accused had somehow managed to slip past the security personnel — guards of the Maharashtra Security Force and BMC security — and approached the woman posing as a ward boy from the hospital.
As soon as the woman filed a complaint at Sion police station, the cops arrested the 31-year-old within 24 hours. Surprisingly, when mid-day got in touch with the dean Dr Jayashree Mondkar for her comment on Monday, she was clueless about the horrific incident on her hospital premises three days ago. "I am not aware of such an incident, and will look into it," she said.
Guards of the Maharashtra Security Force and BMC security man the Sion hospital premises at all times. File pic
Pretended to help
The woman, who hails from Pune, had come to Sion Hospital for the treatment of her sister who has a kidney ailment. On Friday noon, while she was sitting outside the ward, the man approached her. "He pretended to be a ward boy and spoke to her in Marathi. He asked her if she was facing any problems with medical expenses, to which the woman said she was," said an officer from Sion police station.
"He told the woman that he knew the doctors and the administration who could waive off the bills if she accompanied him. The woman went along with the man who took her to the top floor of the building," the officer added. When the woman reached the terrace, the man allegedly grabbed her and then forced himself on her. The woman said she tried hard to push him off, but she was overpowered by him. After raping the woman, the man ran away. The devastated woman went downstairs and told a security official about what had happened.
Dr Jayashree Mondkar
"The incident took place around 1pm, after which security officials and the woman looked for the man around the hospital. After not finding the man, the woman went to the police station around 7pm and registered a complaint," said another officer. As soon as the complaint was registered, the cops started investigating and got CCTV grabs of the suspect. Sion hospital authorities said a medical test was conducted on the woman the same day, which confirmed rape.
"We arrested the accused within 24 hours of registration of the incident. He is booked under IPC 376 (rape) and is now in judicial custody," a senior police officer said on condition of anonymity. The accused is a resident of Dharavi and works as a sweeper and does odd jobs in the area. He claimed he was drunk at the time of the crime. The hospital had beefed up security on the premises following consistent attacks on resident doctors by patients' relatives.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes critical patient's HIV+ sister on Sion Hospital roof
- Rising carrom star Janhavi More run over by speeding truck in Dombivli
- BMC to put Marine Drive under the radar
- Mumbai: Cops fight accuseds' lies with biometric system
- New BMC chief Pravin Pardeshi tackles rain, road and revenue on Day 1
- Sit on a machaan and spot animals all night at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- PM's proposer spells out her dreams for Varanasi
- Mumbai: Turf Club calls for meeting on consent terms for Gallops
- Elections 2019: Milind Deora's Jain comment 'violative', says EC
- Mumbai: Government officer jumps from 30th floor of World Trade Centre
- Mumbai Crime: Cops crack down on online escort services, arrest two
- It's final, Jaslok Trust will continue to run hospital, says CEO
- A walk through Mohammed Ali Road's Khau Galli
- Expensive things Mukesh Ambani spends on
Mumbai Crime: Man kills model after sex, stuffs body in suitcase