40-year-old man sentenced to life for killing lover
The deceased woman, Pooja Gujjar, who had separated from her husband, was in a relationship with Ganesh. The two used to have frequent arguments
On May 21, 2019, a special court based in Kota, Rajasthan sentenced a 40-year-old man to life imprisonment for killing a woman, with whom he was in a relationship, by running her over with his SUV back in 2013. The special woman harassment court judge Lokesh Sharma convicted the accused, identified as Ganesh Gujjar under sections 302 (murder) and 201 (tampering of evidence) of the Indian Penal Code on Monday, special public prosecutor Niteyendra Sharma said. The special court also imposed a fine of Rs 13,000 on Ganesh, he said.
The statements of eyewitnesses - the 14-year-old son of the deceased and Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Babulal - played a decisive role in securing the conviction, he added. The deceased woman, Pooja Gujjar, who had separated from her husband, was in a relationship with Ganesh. The two used to have frequent arguments, Sharma said.
One day, after an argument with Pooja, Ganesh ran her over with his SUV thereby killing her on the spot. At the time of the incident, the woman's minor son, who was walking behind her and Babulal, who was patrolling, witnessed the crime, he said.
The accused Ganesh, who was out on bail, was arrested on Monday, Sharma said.
In another incident, a bride's estranged lover allegedly kidnapped her while she was returning home with her groom in Rajasthan's Udaipur district. The alleged incident occurred near Savina railway crossing under Hiranmagri police station area.
According to reports, the newlyweds were returning home along with some relatives, were going to the groom's house in a vehicle.
"The accused, along with some other men, stopped their vehicle and thrashed the groom. They damaged the car and abducted the bride, Vinita Suthar," Superintendent of Police (SP), Udaipur, Kailash Chandra Bishnoi said. The couple had got married in the Titardi area on Monday night. Read the full story here.
With inputs from PTI
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: TikTok user arrested for dangerous bike stunts back in 2017
- Travel agent dupes south Mumbai travellers of Rs 3.08 lakh
- Mumbai Crime: Four nabbed for illegal soil excavation in Gorai
- Mumbai crime: Within four hours of murder, cops nab 2 accused
- Shiv Sena corporator, Salman Khan discuss Being Human for BMC
- Congress leaders' discuss water issues with Mumbai civic chief
- How did you spend our money? BMC chief asks the Railways
- Mumbai: Sion flyover to be shut for one month
- Can we leave the fireflies alone, please?
- Alert Mumbai Metro staff helps commuter get back lost wallet in four hours
- Mumbai lift mishap: BDL lift has not had a licence for last 14 years
- Pune: Loud purring alerts cops to leopard cubs being smuggled
- Between the real and the abstract
- The future of Idli Manchurian
- Smita Thackeray, Maanayata Dutt, Amitabh Bachchan at an event in Andheri
- Remembering Rajiv Gandhi: Rare pictures of former Prime Minister of India
- British Royal kids Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis play in the woods
- These photos of Amruta Fadnavis enjoying the rains are romantic as ever!
- Popular Mumbai salons that Bollywood's top actresses visit
- mid day editorial: Let's start making every drop of water count
- British Royal kids George, Charlotte and Louis play in the woods
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe