George Clooney advised Ben Affleck to not take up Batman role
'I actually did talk to him about it. I said, 'Don't do it'. It was only from my experience, which is, you know...' Clooney said. The actor, however, believes Affleck did a 'great' job with the part
George Clooney knows a thing or two about the perils of taking on a fan-favourite role, which is why he suggested his good friend Ben Affleck to turn down the offer to play Batman on screen.
The 58-year-old actor famously took up the role for 1997's 'Batman & Robin' but he failed to deliver on the expectations of fans with the film proving to be a major critical and commercial failure. During his appearance on The Hollywood Reporter's Awards Chatter podcast, Clooney recalled his experience working on the film and how it taught him an important lesson.
'(Arnold) Schwarzenegger was paid, I think, USD 25 million for that, which was like 20 times more than I was paid for it, and, you know, we never even worked together! We worked together one day. But I took all the heat,' Clooney said. 'Now, fair deal; I was playing Batman and I wasn't good in it, and it wasn't a good film, but what I learned from that failure was, I had to rethink how I was working. Because now I wasn't just an actor getting a role, I was being held responsible for the film itself,' he added.
The actor said when he was working with Affleck on their 2012 Oscar-winning film 'Argo', he advised him to decline the offer to play Batman in Zack Snyder's 'Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice'. 'I actually did talk to him about it. I said, 'Don't do it'. It was only from my experience, which is, you know...' Clooney said. The actor, however, believes Affleck did a 'great' job with the part.
Top entertainment stories of the day:
- Revealed! Sonam Kapoor's special workout and diet plan for Cannes red carpet outing
- Arjun Kapoor on India's Most Wanted: Mature enough to tackle such films
- Shahid Kapoor on Kabir Singh: Film warns you against going down that route
- Stop everything you are doing and watch Disha Patani's butterfly kick video
- Cannes 2019: Hina Khan shares her dream-come-true pictures
- Pooja Gor on Newborn Mother: Actors rarely come across such intense subjects
- Anupriya Goenka enjoying the best of both worlds
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Ben Affleck's stand-alone Batman movie gets green signal