How to diagnose tattoo infection at an early stage
Signs of infection usually are quick to appear. One should check for the following symptoms and consult a doctor if the signs are present
Tattoos have been around since quite a while now. Although the idea was initially looked down upon, the idea is becoming increasingly popular and less controversial with each passing day. Due to the fact that it’s so common, most people tend to assume that there's no dark side to it, and aren’t acquainted with the risks that come with it. Sunny Bhanushali, the founder and Celebrity tattoo artist at Aliens Tattoo Studio says, "Inserting needles in your body means you can potentially let foreign matter and infections into your body, which is why it is important to make sure that your tattoo artist is one that uses clean equipment and provides you with proper instructions about the aftercare. If these things are neglected, you're highly likely to catch an infection."
Signs of infection usually are quick to appear. One should check for the following symptoms and consult a doctor if the signs are present:
- Uncomfortable Itching: During the healing of your tattoo, itching is completely normal. However, if the itching seems like it’s getting unbearable, and seems abnormal, it’s best to consult your doctor.
- Pus discharge: When you see yellow, brown or green tinted slime or pus discharging from your flesh wound, you'll need to stop and see a doctor immediately. While you might think it’s the colour of the ink pigment leaking out, it’s not. Even in tiny amounts, you should take any discoloured oozing seriously.
- Foul odour.
- Tenderness and pain: The tattoo site will be a little sore, and there will definitely be some associated pain, but it shouldn’t be a deep pain that’s beyond comfort level.
- Redness: Some minor redness for a short period of time is quite normal. However, it slowly starts turning into red streaks and the rash will seem to spread farther ahead around. It will appear red and inflamed.
- Swelling, blistering and boils: If you have caught an infection you will slowly start noticing small bulges.
- Warmth: Your tattoo will start feeling a bit warm. Fever starts to develop.
To prevent these things from happening it is necessary that you choose the right tattoo artist, make sure the equipment’s used are clean. Needless to say, read reviews and ask around about the artist. Ensure that the needles used are completely new. Ensure that the artist uses ink that is approved by the FDA. Gloves should be worn during the entire process. Once the tattoo is done, clean the area with soap using gloves. Anti-biotic ointments or reams should be regularly applied onto the tattoo. Basically, all aftercare suggestions made by the tattoo artist should be adhered to.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: TikTok user arrested for dangerous bike stunts back in 2017
- Travel agent dupes south Mumbai travellers of Rs 3.08 lakh
- Mumbai Crime: Four nabbed for illegal soil excavation in Gorai
- Mumbai crime: Within four hours of murder, cops nab 2 accused
- Shiv Sena corporator, Salman Khan discuss Being Human for BMC
- Congress leaders' discuss water issues with Mumbai civic chief
- How did you spend our money? BMC chief asks the Railways
- Mumbai: Sion flyover to be shut for one month
- Can we leave the fireflies alone, please?
- Alert Mumbai Metro staff helps commuter get back lost wallet in four hours
- Mumbai lift mishap: BDL lift has not had a licence for last 14 years
- Pune: Loud purring alerts cops to leopard cubs being smuggled
- Between the real and the abstract
- The future of Idli Manchurian
- Smita Thackeray, Maanayata Dutt, Amitabh Bachchan at an event in Andheri
- Remembering Rajiv Gandhi: Rare pictures of former Prime Minister of India
- British Royal kids Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis play in the woods
- These photos of Amruta Fadnavis enjoying the rains are romantic as ever!
- Popular Mumbai salons that Bollywood's top actresses visit
- mid day editorial: Let's start making every drop of water count
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe