Mumbai: 29-year-old Man drowns near Bandra Bandstand
Mitun Kumar Kariyar was spotted drowning near Bandra Bandstand, a popular tourist haunt in the western suburbs
Mumbai: A 29-year-old man drowned in the sea on Thursday afternoon, a fire brigade official said. Mitun Kumar Kariyar was spotted drowning near Bandra Bandstand, a popular tourist haunt in the western suburbs.
A fire brigade team rescued him and brought him out to the shore but he was declared dead before admission at a hospital, the official added. Incidents of people getting swept away by waves while standing on the rocks which jut into the sea at Bandra Bandstand have been reported many times in the past.
In another incident, Seven members of a family, including two minors, drowned in Ganga river while taking a bath at Brijghat in Uttar Pradesh's Amroha district, police said Tuesday.
The incident took place on Monday. Five bodies have been fished out of the river, while two remain missing, they said.
The family hailed from Luhari village. The deceased include Bunty (21), Sanjeev (18), Vipin (21), Manoj (20) and Sanjeev (17). The missing persons were identified as Gautam (20) and Dharmendra (16), they added.
The family members were bathing at Brijghat after a 'mundan' ceremony. Two of them suddenly started to drown and the others jumped in to save them, circle officer, Dhanaura, Monika Yadav, said.
Only three of them made out alive, she said. "Two of them are still missing and a team of NDRF is trying to find the bodies," she added. District Magistrate Umesh Mishra said it is a very unfortunate incident and he has written to the state government seeking financial assistance for the family.
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Marshals Save Woman From Drowning At Bandra Bandstand