Pranab Mukherjee hails EC: Twiteratti reacts to his statement
His remarks come a day after Congress president Rahul Gandhi alleged that the Election Commission's "capitulation" before Prime Minister Narendra Modi is obvious and the poll watchdog is not feared and respected anymore
At a time when the Election Commission is under fire from opposition parties for being biased, former president Pranab Mukherjee on Monday lauded the role of the poll panel saying the 2019 Lok Sabha polls were conducted "perfectly". Speaking at a book launch event, he said that right from the first election commissioner Sukumar Sen to the present election commissioners, the institution is working very well. He said all the three commissioners are appointed by the executive and they are doing their job well.
Mukherjee said, "you cannot criticise them, it was perfect conduct of elections. If democracy has succeeded, it is largely due to perfect conduct of elections by election commissioners starting from Sukumar Sen to the present election commissioners," Mukherjee said at the launch of the book 'Defining India: Through Their Eyes' by Sonia Singh. Netizens reacted to Pranab Mukherjee's statement on the social media platform, Twitter.
Former president Pranab Mukherjee Sabha polls were conducted "perfectly". pic.twitter.com/f0kMYLxvIW— Chowkidar NareshDC (@naresh809) May 21, 2019
"If democracy has succeeded, it is largely due to perfect conduct of elections by election commissioners"— animesh (@animesh0618) May 21, 2019
Tight slap by Pranab Mukherjee to Congress. https://t.co/VZMRNcg8lv
Anything else needed ? Even former president praises Election Commission,or ye to bjp si nhi hai na ?
Former president Honourable Shri Pranab Mukherjee lauded the role of the poll panel saying the 2019 Lok Sabha polls were conducted "perfectly" pic.twitter.com/ACoFsRtEUx— Chowkidar BJYM (@BJYM) May 21, 2019
His remarks come a day after Congress president Rahul Gandhi alleged that the Election Commission's "capitulation" before Prime Minister Narendra Modi is obvious and the poll watchdog is not feared and respected anymore. The EC has been criticised by the opposition parties for being allegedly biased towards the BJP.Top
News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: TikTok user arrested for dangerous bike stunts back in 2017
- Travel agent dupes south Mumbai travellers of Rs 3.08 lakh
- Mumbai Crime: Four nabbed for illegal soil excavation in Gorai
- Mumbai crime: Within four hours of murder, cops nab 2 accused
- Shiv Sena corporator, Salman Khan discuss Being Human for BMC
- Congress leaders' discuss water issues with Mumbai civic chief
- How did you spend our money? BMC chief asks the Railways
- Mumbai: Sion flyover to be shut for one month
- Can we leave the fireflies alone, please?
- Alert Mumbai Metro staff helps commuter get back lost wallet in four hours
- Mumbai lift mishap: BDL lift has not had a licence for last 14 years
- Pune: Loud purring alerts cops to leopard cubs being smuggled
- Between the real and the abstract
- The future of Idli Manchurian
- Smita Thackeray, Maanayata Dutt, Amitabh Bachchan at an event in Andheri
- Remembering Rajiv Gandhi: Rare pictures of former Prime Minister of India
- British Royal kids Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis play in the woods
- These photos of Amruta Fadnavis enjoying the rains are romantic as ever!
- Popular Mumbai salons that Bollywood's top actresses visit
- mid day editorial: Let's start making every drop of water count
- British Royal kids George, Charlotte and Louis play in the woods
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Actress Mahie Gill and other crew members of Alt Balaji's show "Fixerr" assaulted by goons