Celebrities condole veteran playwright-actor Girish Karnad's demise
Noted playwright, actor and director Girish Karnad, a progressive voice that championed the freedom of expression, died at his residence here Monday, official sources said. He was 81. Karnad was ailing for some time now, they said
Jnanpith winner and noted theatre personality, actor and playwright Girish Karnad passed away at his Bengaluru home on Monday at the age of 81 following age-related complications.
A multifaceted personality, Karnad has acted in several plays and movies that have received critical acclamation. Karnad, a recipient of Jnanpith Award, was also conferred the Padma Shri in 1974 and the Padma Bhushan in 1992. He was also a Rhodes Scholar from Oxford University, in the 1960s that earned him his Master of Arts degree in philosophy, political science and economics.
His plays, written in Kannada, have been translated into English and several Indian languages. He made his acting debut and screenwriting debut in iconic Kannada movie, "Samskara" (1970), based on a novel by UR Ananthamurthy. It was directed by Pattabhirama Reddy and the film won the first President's Golden Lotus Award for Kannada cinema.
Though he started off his career in cinema as an actor, he is best known as a writer and thinker.
Karnad was one of the most prominent artistic voices of his generation. He was an eminent playwright with works such as "Nagmandala", "Yayati" and "Tughlaq", which was one of the most successfully performed plays, to his credit.
He also worked in Hindi cinema's parallel film movement in movies such as "Swami", and "Nishant". His TV credits include "Malgudi Days" in which he played Swami's father and a hosting stint in the science magazine "Turning Point" on Doordarshan in the early 1990s.
In later years, Karnad was seen in commercial films such as Salman Khan's "Tiger Zinda Hai" and Ajay Devgn-starrer "Shivaay".
Celebrities across India expressed their condolences over the actor's demise.
May you rest in peace Girish Karnad sir. Your talent humour and sharp intellect will be missed :(— shruti haasan (@shrutihaasan) June 10, 2019
Rest in peace #GirishKarnad— Prosenjit Chatterjee (@prosenjitbumba) June 10, 2019
Huge huge loss for the world of theatre cinema and literature!!! The creative world will always be indebted to him .we lost our https://t.co/uKRJPS31Yq GIRISH KARNAD SIR !!— manoj bajpayee (@BajpayeeManoj) June 10, 2019
Girish Karnad, great playwright, much respected thinker, wonderful person. RIP— Pritish Nandy (@PritishNandy) June 10, 2019
Top Stories of the day:
- Ayushmann Khurrana: I approach directors myself
- Kareena Kapoor shares selfie from Tuscany; gets trolled for looking 'old'
- Sudhir Mishra wants to be known beyond Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi
- Joe Jonas-Sophie Turner Vegas wedding: Parents as clueless as fans
- Style goals! Kangana Ranaut aces the summer look in hot shorts
- Sara Ali Khan or Shanaya Kapoor, who rocked the 'Salwar Kameez' look?
- Candid clicks! Malaika Arora buys flowers, after working out at the gym
- Shibani Dandekar drools over Disha Patani's hot photo; check post
- These photos of Sonam Kapoor will make you miss your childhood more
- Amitabh Bachchan pens heartfelt note for Sheetal Jain, says they don't make people like him anymore
- Anand Ahuja wishes 'girlfriend forever' Sonam Kapoor happy b'day in the sweetest way
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe