Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman studied in the School of Social Sciences and School of International Studies of the university for her MA and M Phil degrees respectively
New Delhi: The Executive Council of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in its meeting on Wednesday decided to honour Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar with the 'Distinguished Alumni Award' on the third convocation of the university, which will be held in August.
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman studied in the School of Social Sciences and School of International Studies of the university for her MA and M Phil degrees respectively.
Minister of External Affairs Dr S Jaishankar also studied in the School of International Studies where he completed his M Phil and Doctoral research with the specialisation in nuclear diplomacy.
A press release from the university stated: "Their highly distinguished career and achievements have made the University very proud and they are a great source of inspiration for JNU students and researchers."
Executive Council of Jawaharlal Nehru University today approved a proposal to give the Distinguished Alumni Award to two of its alumni, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman & External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar during the convocation of JNU in Aug 2019. (File pics) pic.twitter.com/97pjoXfz8n— ANI (@ANI) June 12, 2019
The Union Ministers will be the first recipients of the 'Distinguished Alumni Award,' which is to be conferred by the university.
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Catch up on all the latest Crime, National, International and Hatke news here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates