Ayushmann Khurrana: Box office numbers give courage
With one hit after another to his credit, Ayushmann Khurrana says good box office numbers give him the courage to do films with a social message
With one hit after another to his credit, Ayushmann Khurrana says good box office numbers give him the courage to do films with a social message.
Bareilly Ki Barfi, Shubh Mangal Saavdhan, Badhaai Ho and AndhaDhun have all done well for him in recent times. The actor has taken a career turn to do Article 15, an investigative drama about discrimination.
"After doing good box office numbers with four back-to-back films, as an artiste and as an actor, you get the courage to do a film which has a certain social responsibility that can make the nation think," Ayushmann said in a statement.
"I wanted to do something very relevant to society and to Indians, and not think about how much money it will make. For me, this has never been the benchmark for good cinema. Good cinema can also evoke a discussion and a dialogue and with this film my attempt is to do just that.
"I have never been an insecure artist who feels if one film does well, the next has to do bigger and better. That's a very small lens to operate from. I have always tried to disrupt stereotypes with my cinema. So, this decision is my attempt to disrupt how successful cinema is evaluated in India," he added.
The actor, known to pull off experimental themes and genres with ease, has represented the common man in his films with elan.
In Anubhav Sinha's Article 15, he plays a policeman who faces insurmountable challenges while in search for truth and justice.
Cinema, says the actor, is about the common man and about relatability.
"It is about resonating your ideas with the masses and I understand that because I am one of them. I have lived every sphere of life just like them. Having had a middle class upbringing, my journey is the same as theirs.
"I have seen different taboos, progressive and regressive thoughts, have met quirky and mad people, gotten inspired by people and events that have affected all of us as a nation."
Top entertainment stories of the day:
- Aamir Khan back to his Pali Hill apartment after owners refuse to leave their flats for his bungalow
- Bandra Diaries: Malaika Arora shows off her sultry side in this all-black gym gear
- Bandra Diaries: Janhvi Kapoor's mesh insert all-black gym gear is breaking the internet
- Photos: When Salman Khan sported ganji at Amrita Kak's wedding
- Tarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah's Disha Vakani buys a swanky car; see photo
- Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt's Bhuj: The Pride Of India goes on floors in October
- Boney Kapoor on Mr India sequel: After Sridevi, I have even more reason to make the film
- Ganesh Acharya on Jaaved Jaaferi's son: I have an emotional attachment with Meezaan
- Huma Qureshi bags Zack Snyder's Army Of The Dead
- Pregnant Sameera Reddy enjoys babymoon with family in Goa; see photos
- Watch video: After fight with cancer, Sonali Bendre gets a makeover
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Ayushmann Khurrana talks about his movie choices, Box Office success and more