Bomb found at Air Force school in Pune; diffused
After the news broke out, the police, as well as senior officers from the Air Force, rushed to the spot along with the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad at 12 noon. The device was detected as well as diffused by the police
There was panic all across on Tuesday when a hand grenade was found at a Pune-based Air Force school ground. The incident came to light after sub-inspector Narendra Vaishane lodged a report with the Airport police station attached to the BDDS which falls under the jurisdiction of the city of Pune.
After the news broke out, the police, as well as senior officers from the Air Force, rushed to the spot along with the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad at 12 noon. The device was detected as well as diffused by the police.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police Mitesh Ghatte said, "Our BDDS officials had received a bomb alert call around 9.45 am on Tuesday. They received the phone call from Wing commander P N Singh who had alerted the control room about some suspected hand grenade near the Air Force school near Ganpati Chowk. The team immediately rushed to the spot and around 10.05 am and later secured the area. The hand grenade was found at the premises of the Air Force School. After the team scrutinised the bomb, it was identified as an improvised hand grenade system. With the help of our dog squad, we found explosives mixed with the soil which was located around 20 feet away. We further scrutinised the bomb and found that it was not connected to electronic junction based on which with the help of an EVD machine, we studied it and confirmed it to be explosive."
He added, "The bomb was disposed at the spot with the permission of the Air Force."
The bomb was mixed with normal soil, explosive mud, suspected blast particles and other chemical substances which were collected from the spot by the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad officials and handed over to the forensic laboratory.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai police probe Aditya Pancholi for 'assault and exploitation'
- Sion Hospital rape: He threatened to strangle me to death, says victim
- Video of sickle brandishing 'dada' lands him in jail in Wakad
- Mumbai: Toy gun breaks off as caretaker tries to rob Malad businessmen
- Five years on, Mumbai University continues to use old, shabby library
- Mumbai recalls 'fine gentleman' Nazir Hoosein behind Liberty Cinema
- Carrom player accident: Dombivli residents want working traffic lights, dedicated cops
- Forced to leave Mumbai, Pandey now struggles as a tea-seller in Kashi
- New BMC chief Pravin Pardeshi brings engineers back from leave
- Mumbai: Charkop citizens protest BMC's tree 'trimming'
- Witness statements don't support Tanushree Dutta's sexual harassment story, says Mumbai cops
- Sleepless on SV Road: Mumbai Metro 2B din ruins nights of Santacruz residents
- Skymet: Below normal rainfall expected in monsoon, 15 per cent chance of drought
- Mumbai Crime: Nigerian duo arrested for stealing money from ATMs
- Body of unidentified woman found at Juhu Chowpatty
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Amrita Rao and Environmentalist Chinu Kwatra collect broken Ganesha idols