Man beheads nephew to 'appease deities' for bountiful harvest
The accused identified as Chintamani Majhi, 48, lured his nephew to his field and allegedly killed him with a billhook. The incident happened in Odisha
In a shocking case of superstition, a man in Odisha allegedly beheaded his 12-year-old nephew in order to "appease deities" for good crop harvest. The alleged incident occurred in Nuapada district's Jadamunda village on Saturday.
The accused identified as Chintamani Majhi, 48, lured his nephew to his field and allegedly killed him with a billhook. However, the victim's elder brother witnessed the entire incident from a distance.
After the accused killed the victim, his brother raised an alarm following which villagers gathered at the spot. Later, the villagers informed the police regarding the alleged crime and the accused was immediately nabbed.
Following the arrest, an investigation was launched by the police. During the investigation, the accused confessed his crime saying that he sacrificed his nephew as an offering for 'Choru', a local term that refers to the sacrifice offered to deities for bountiful harvest before the start of the new cropping season, as reported by India Today.
"We received information that an uncle killed his nephew in Jadamunda village. We have detained Chintamani Majhi and seized the weapon used in the murder. Chintamani said he did it for 'Choru' but further investigation will reveal the actual reason behind killing," said the inspector-in-charge Nirmal Chandra Panigrahi.
In another similar case, a woman and her husband were allegedly hacked to death at a village in Pune district of Maharashtra on the suspicion that she was practising black magic, police said on Friday.
The incident took place on Thursday at Aundhe village, around 50 kms from Pune and the victims were identified as Lilabai Mukane (47) and her husband Navasu Mukane (55), police said.
Two persons, identified as Jaitu Borkar and Baban Mukane, were arrested by Khed police in this connection, they said.
According to a police officer, the deceased woman was a quack, but some people in the village, located in Khed tehsil, suspected that she was practising black magic.
"A few days ago, Borkar's daughter had developed cyst in her abdomen. Borkar suspected that it due to the black magic is done by Lilabai," a senior officer at Khed police station said.
"Baban's wife had also developed some rashes on her body and even he suspected that it was due to Lilabai's black magic," he added.
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe