Man comes to Mumbai to distribute son's wedding cards, falls off train
According to the deceased's family, he may have slipped and fallen on the tracks
A resident of Pune, Tanaji Lavangare(59) who was in Mumbai to distribute invitation cards for his son's wedding fell off a CSMT-bound local train at Kurla station and died on Wednesday night.
According to the deceased's family, he may have slipped and fallen on the tracks.
The Kurla stationmaster informed the Government Railway police at 10:55 pm about an accident on Platform 6. The GRP personnel rushed to the platform and found the injured man. He was taken to Rajawadi hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. He had suffered severe head injuries and the police suspect that he fell off while trying to alight from the train.
A police official told The Times of India, “The man was carrying a bundle of wedding cards in his bag. The cards had a name ‘Tanaji Lavangare’ with a Pune address and a mobile phone number. When we called on the number, we found that it was the phone the deceased was carrying.”
The police went through the call logs and got in touch with Lavangare's son, Sumit. Sumit told them that he was to get married on June 19 and his father was in Mumbai to distribute wedding cards to his family.
“Lavangare’s daughter lives in Airoli. He had given her an invitation card and was going around the city to distribute the remaining invites,” said a police officer.
Sumit claimed his father's body from the post-mortem centre and returned to Pune on Thursday. He said, “My father was retired. He lived with me in Pune but he was used to travelling in Mumbai trains as he visited the city.We don’t know how he fell off the train; he probably slipped."
Top news stories of the day
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Dr Payal Tadvi had no friends in her own department, say batchmates
- Gadchiroli blasts: Elderly parents worry about the future, as slain sons' wives get compensation
- Mulund society secretary booked for animal cruelty
- Mumbai: Esplanade Mansion's electricity meters removed ahead of its demolition
- Mumbai: BMC shuts two crucial foot overbridges at King's Circle
- 'Volunteers to comb forests for snares to prevent deaths of animals'
- Majeed Memon: Preserving Esplanade would mean protecting Kala Ghoda's history
- 8th Board Result 2019 RBSE: Rajasthan Results today at 4 PM, check at rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in
- SSC Result 2019: Maharashtra 10th Results to be out today at mahresult.nic.in
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai: Man saved from being crushed under moving train at Dadar