Mumbai artist sexually and physically assaulted in Goa, video goes viral
Artist Durga Gawde was sexually and physically assaulted on a busy road in North Goa after she complained about him for talking on the phone while driving and ramming into her vehicle
A Mumbai-based artist, Durga Gawde took to social media to express her outrage on how she was sexually and physically assaulted on a busy road in North Goa. She also expressed disappointment because the accused was granted bail after four days.
Gawde urged social media users to use the hashtag #StandUpForYourself and #LockUpBrianFranco. Gawde said that the accused assaulted her after she complained about him speaking on the phone while riding a two-wheeler. He almost crashed into her vehicle near a petrol pump at Saligao village on May 31.
She wrote, "He stalked me, cornered my bike and stopped his bike in front of mine such that I had to stop. He proceeded to remove my bike keys and threw them away and then started to hit my bike and intimidate me. I was not scared, I looked straight into his eyes without fear."
I'M NOT A VICTIM, I FOUGHT BACK AND STOOD UP FOR MYSELF. My assaulter is out on bail and needs to be behind bars. Watch and read the description for context: https://t.co/CuMPHnvtSH#metoo #standupforyourself #lockupbrianfranco #therainbowrevolution— Durga Gawde (@durgagawde) June 6, 2019
She also described how the accused abused her sexually. “Even though the cops at Saligao police station were helpful and seemed to be on my side, while I was giving my statement Brian Franco was behaving obscenely,” she said.
The police inspector in charge of the police station, Santosh Desai, told The Hindu, "He was soon remanded in police custody for two days. After we objected to his release, he was again remanded for two more days by the magistrate, before being released on bail. He was in police custody for four days."
The accused was arrested under sections 354(outraging modesty) and 354 d (stalking) 323 (causing hurt voluntarily), and 504 (breach of peace) of the Indian Penal Code.
Top news stories of the day
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Dr Payal Tadvi had no friends in her own department, say batchmates
- Gadchiroli blasts: Elderly parents worry about the future, as slain sons' wives get compensation
- Mulund society secretary booked for animal cruelty
- Mumbai: Esplanade Mansion's electricity meters removed ahead of its demolition
- Mumbai: BMC shuts two crucial foot overbridges at King's Circle
- 'Volunteers to comb forests for snares to prevent deaths of animals'
- Majeed Memon: Preserving Esplanade would mean protecting Kala Ghoda's history
- 8th Board Result 2019 RBSE: Rajasthan Results today at 4 PM, check at rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in
- SSC Result 2019: Maharashtra 10th Results to be out today at mahresult.nic.in
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Maharashtra Elections 2019: Pankaja Munde and Dhananjay Munde battle it out for Parli