Two men arrested for running betting racket on cricket World Cup in Delhi
Acting on a tip-off, the police team arrested the two accused and recovered a laptop, 10 mobile phones, and two diaries from them
On June 6, 2019, late night, two men who allegedly ran a betting racket on cricket World Cup in North Delhi's Timarpur area were arrested by Delhi police. The two accused ran the betting racket with the help of a betting software which was installed in their laptop, the police said.
"The accused used software installed in their laptop to register entry of the data. They also used hotline mobile phone for live gambling," a senior police officer said.
The two accused were identified as Harminder (30) and Gurdeep Kapoor (32), and both were running the betting racket in the Nehru Vihar area of Timarpur in North Delhi and were arrested after the police received a secret tip-off regarding the betting racket.
The police team recovered a laptop, 10 mobile phones, and two diaries from the accused.
In a similar incident which took place during the 2019 IPL season in Mumbai, three people were arrested for betting on an Indian Premier League (IPL) match being played between two leading teams in Juhu. The crime branch officials of unit 9, seized the mobile phones and SIM cards registered under fake names along with equipment worth Rs 5 lakh. A case was filed against the accused at the Juhu Police Station. The arrested accused identified as Manoj, Rajiv and Nitesh were arrested from a hotel in Juhu.
According to police, the crime branch received a tip-off about a few cricket bookies betting on an IPL match in a Juhu hotel and acting on the information, a police team raided the hotel premises. The accused used to provide a website link along with an ID and password to log in after people paid the amount. After logging into the account provided by the bookies, one could bet on their favourite team and it would be notified to the cricket bookies in the syndicate circle. Read the full story here.
Top news stories of the day
- Virat Kohli slapped Rs 500 fine for washing car with drinking water by Gurugram corporation
- Mantralaya dengue scare: BMC drops pesticide grains in Metro 3 pits
- Mumbai: City's water levels down to less than 10 percent of total stock
- Smriti Irani's mushy moments with husband Zubin spell romance!
- Thane: Cadbury junction flyover to remain open during the repairs
- Mumbai: City mountaineer revisits near-death experience in the Everest jam
- Mumbai: In a first, MSHRC takes note of MU law result chaos
- Do you know Belly dancing helps you lose weight, improve sex life?
- Mumbai: MMRDA setup control room to tackle bad roads, water logging issues during monsoon
- British Airways passenger forced to sit on seat with vomit; Airline gets trolled
- World Oceans Day: 10 spectacular marine animals in pictures
- Watch video: Old man serving water to pedestrians in sweltering Delhi heat will melt your heart
- Sudarshan Pattanaik's remarkable beach sand sculptures are a must see
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe