Watch Video: Woman beaten up for dowry, video goes viral
"I was beaten by my in-laws and my husband. They have been demanding dowry and saying that if I cannot give them money then I have to give divorce to my husband. They are also demanding a motorcycle", the victim stated.
Faridabad: A woman was allegedly beaten up by her husband and in-laws over dowry. The incident came to light after the video of the assault went viral. "I was beaten by my in-laws and my husband. They have been demanding dowry and saying that if I cannot give them money then I have to give divorce to my husband. They are also demanding a motorcycle", the victim stated.
The victim got married earlier this year. Her in-laws soon allegedly started demanding dowry from her. "It was a love marriage and we have been married for just two months. My husband, his brother and their parents beat me yesterday evening," the woman added.
Police are looking into the matter. "It is a personal dispute between husband and wife. We were informed that the woman was beaten by her husband and in-laws," said Vikram Kapoor, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Faridabad.
In another incident, a woman from Noida, who was married in Ghaziabad in 2017, was killed for dowry in Sadarpur locality, the victim's father alleged. On the basis of his complaint, the police have registered a complaint. The police said Pinki Sharma (25), a resident of Bhangel Gautam Budh Nagar, was married to Happy Sharma on February 23, 2017.
The victim's father Sanjay Sharma said that when they married, a Baleno car and other gifts were presented to the groom but the in-laws kept asking her for more dowry. They also tortured her. The distraught family said the groom's family informed them that she had tried to commit suicide. When the family reached the hospital, she was already dead. "A complaint under sections 498 (a), 3,4 and 304 (b) has been registered. The body has been sent for autopsy and investigation has been initiated," police officer Atish Kumar said.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Did the accused remove her suicide note, ask family
- Nair Hospital's first-year PG student: Worked 24 hours... six more hours to go
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: All 3 accused arrested, likely to be produced in court today
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Make central anti-ragging law more stringent, says state
- Mumbai Crime: 46-year-old rape accused who fled from hospital arrested in Gujarat
- Mumbai: New animal rescue centre at Shilphata to ease SGNP's load
- Aditya Pancholi case: Even after repeated reminders, actress yet to record statement
- With SC order, BMC can finally demolish hutments at Tansa
- Filmy terrorists infiltrate Vasai, nabbed by alert former BSF jawan
- Maharashtra HSC results 2019: Mumbai pass percentage drops by four points
- Nalasopara's corporator Arun Jadhav wanted in forgery case arrested
- 4-year-old girl raped during parent-teacher meet at school
- Divya Spandana: From South actress to Rahul Gandhi's social media guru
- Mumbai gyms where Bollywood stars go to get a toned and fab body
- The village no woman wants to get married into!
- India's first Four-Wheeler Auto Rickshaw Comes to Mumbai
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Watch video: Massive fire guts chemical factory at Badlapur near Mumbai