Cyclone Vayu: List of Dos and Don'ts to keep you safe
Ahead of Cyclone Vayu making landfall in Gujarat and Konkan coast, the National Disaster Management Authority has issued an advisory of Do's and Don'ts that will come handy for people during cyclone Vayu
Ahead of Cyclone Vayu making landfall on the Gujarat coast in the early hours of June 13, schools and colleges in the state's coastal districts have been declared shut for Thursday. The cyclone Vayu originated from a deep depression over the east-central and adjoining Southeast Arabian Sea.
In order to tackle cyclone Vayu, the Gujarat state government and the Narendra Modi led government at the centre have taken all measures to keep the state safe and secure during these testing times. Teams of National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) and the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) have already begun evacuating people from the coastal settlements in Gujarat along with parts of the Konkan coast.
Heavy Rainfall Warning:— NDMA India (@ndmaindia) June 12, 2019
While nearly 680 kilometres away from Gujarat, here in Mumbai, all preparations have taken place to deal with any emergencies arising of the cyclone Vayu's impact. The Indian Coast Guard has formed relief teams and kept them on notice at Daman, Dahanu Mumbai, Murud-Janjira, Ratnagiri, Goa, Karwar, Mangalore, Beypore, Vizhinjam and Kochi for immediate response.
#CycloneVayu to hit #Gujarat coast between Porbandar and Mahuva around Diu and Veraval on 13th Jun early morning as a very severe cyclonic storm with wund speed around 150 kmph gusting upto 170 kmph. pic.twitter.com/cqp0guzuBl— NDMA India (@ndmaindia) June 12, 2019
On the other hand, the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has deployed a total number of 36 teams to conduct operations in Gujarat ahead of cyclone Vayu's impact on the land. On June 12, 2019, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDRF) took to social networking site Twitter and issued an advisory of Do's and Don'ts that citizens must follow.
The Do's and Don'ts post by NDRF on Twitter read: Cyclone Vayu to hit Gujarat coast between Porbandar and Mahuva around Diu and Veraval on 13th June early morning as a very severe cyclonic storm with wind speed around 150 kmph gusting up to 170 kmph.
#CycloneVayu UPDATE- #TEAMNDRFINDIA— NDRF (@NDRFHQ) June 12, 2019
12 more teams will be airlifted from #INSRajali and #Patna to serve the people of Gujarat and Diu before,during and in the aftermath of the cyclone- #NDRF4INDIA@satyaprad1 @ndmaindia @PIBHomeAffairs @IAF_MCC pic.twitter.com/37OBhzp3ew
Cyclone Vayu which will make landfall on Gujarat coast on June 13 is likely to affect places such as Kutch, Morbi, Jamnagar, Junagadh, Devbhoomi-Dwarka, Porbandar, Rajkot, Amreli, Bhavnagar and Gir-Somnath districts. According to the latest weather report, heavy rainfall is likely to take place at isolated places in districts of South Gujarat region, in Navsari, Valsad, Daman, Dadra Nagar Haveli on 12 June, the IMD said.
According to the latest report, the Indian Coast Guard, Indian Army, Indian Navy, Indian Air Force, and the Border Security Force have been put on high alert. In the meantime, schools, colleges in the state have been directed to remain shut on June 12 and June 13 in these 10 districts as a precautionary measure.
With inputs from agencies
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai Rains: 6 ways to stay healthy and safe this monsoon