Cyclone Vayu likley to make landfall in Gujarat coast on June 13
According to the Indian Meteorological Department, the cyclone is likely to make landfall near Veraval between 6 am and 7 am on Wednesday
Centred nearly 600 km south of the Saurashtra coast in Gujarat, Cyclone Vayu is likely to make landfall in the state on Thursday, even as teams of state and National Disaster Relief Force have been drafted in all the coastal districts, officials said on Tuesday.
Centred nearly 600 km south of the #Saurashtra coast in #Gujarat, #CycloneVayu is likely to make a landfall in the state on June 13, even as teams of state and #NationalDisasterReliefForce have been drafted in all the coastal districts, officials said on June 11.— IANS Tweets (@ians_india) June 11, 2019
Photo: PIB pic.twitter.com/MzPazFHXTg
Gujarat Chief Secretary J.N. Singh told reporters in Gandhinagar that going by information from the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), the cyclone was likely to make landfall near Veraval between 6 am and 7 am on Wednesday.
"It would be anywhere between Veraval and Mahuva (in Saurashtra region), but most probably it would be near Veraval in Gir-Somnath district," he added.
#CycloneVayu, which was located around 690 km south of #Veraval on June 11 morning, could hit at a velocity of 110 km to 135 km per hour when it makes a landfall, officials said. pic.twitter.com/QnucxA9jwl— IANS Tweets (@ians_india) June 11, 2019
Cyclone Vayu, which was located around 690 km south of Veraval on Tuesday morning, could hit at a velocity of 110 km to 135 km per hour when it makes landfall, officials said. Several coastal districts in the Saurashtra region were likely to witness heavy to very heavy rains, heralding pre-monsoon showers, according to MeT officials.
Chief Secretary J.N. Singh said as of now there was no need for an immediate evacuation from coastal districts in a hurry but "if the cyclone somehow changes direction or intensifies in the next 24 hours, a decision would be taken accordingly." The chief secretary said NDRF teams had been deployed in the coastal Saurashtra region and Gir Somnath and they were coordinating with Army, Navy and the Indian Coast Guard.
He said people were being made aware about the eventualities through public address systems, SMS and Whatsapp messages. "The state machinery is fully prepared and equipped to deal with the situation," said Singh. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has held taken review meetings with the officials twice on Tuesday.
Replying to questions, the chief secretary said the Odisha Government with Central help had done a commendable job during Cyclone Fani there and that he would consult them. "I will talk to Odisha CS (chief secretary) about his experience and what could be implemented in case the need arises here in Gujarat," he said.
On the other hand, the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has warned that a cyclone may occur in the Arabian Sea between June 11 and 12. Watch the below video to know more.
Top stories of the day
- Mumbai receives cyclonic rain before monsoon hits around June 15
- Mumbai: Esplanade holds key to heritage tag for whole precinct
- Mumbai Crime: Auto driver threatens to sever traffic cop's head, arrested in Khar
- Mumbai: NEET topper's face in ads of 3 different classes raises hackles
- Mumbai: Two die after auto crushed between dumper, private bus on EEH
- Mumbai: Chaos alert as BMC shuts old bridges in Juhu and Oshiwara
- Politicians to plant 9,000 trees for the 3,000 hacked over Metro 4 work
- Dr Ram Puniyani: To label me anti-Hindu is a carefully constructed prism'
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Court proceedings in Dr Payal Tadvi's case to be recorded on video
- Mumbai Crime: IIT scholar who stalked woman for 5 years held in Bihar
- BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi: New zoo will help preserve Aarey better
- Sewri police arrest 'smart' thieves; discover plan to rob jewellery shops
- Mumbai: Two kids and five dogs electrocuted in first showers
- Nmami Agarwal: Celebrity nutritionist who has trained Manushi Chhillar
- Mumbai Rains: City welcomes first heavy showers of monsoon
- Masaba Gupta looks gorgeous in all-white ensemble
- Woman on flight opens emergency exit door mistaking it for toilet
- Tanuja on the road to recovery; Kajol shares a picture with mother
- Man stabbed to death by his friend over ludo game
- World Cup 2019: Anushka Sharma can't stop praising husband Virat Kohli's on-field gesture
- Yuvraj Singh receives a standing ovation from rumoured ex-girlfriend Kim Sharma on his retirement
- Yuvraj Singh: Cricket taught me to fight, fall, dust myself and get up
- World Cup 2019: ICC needs to take a serious look at the LED bails
- An era ends with Girish Karnad; last rites take place in Bengaluru
- Dino Morea and Shibani Dandekar spotted at an eatery in Bandra
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Gujarat on alert as cyclonic storm Vayu moves towards coast