ITC Chairman Y C Deveshwar passes away
YC Deveshwar, who stepped down from executive role in 2017 but remained as a chairman in non-executive capacity, passed away this morning at a private hospital in Gurugram
New Delhi: Noted industry leader and ITC Chairman Yogesh Chander Deveshwar passed away on Saturday morning after a brief illness at a private hospital in Gurugram, according to company sources. He was 72. The cause of his death is not known. He was reportedly diagnosed with cancer a few years ago.
YC Deveshwar stepped down from the executive role in 2017 but remained as a chairman in a non-executive capacity.
In 2011, Deveshwar was conferred with the Padma Bhushan, award. Sanjiv Puri, ITC MD, extending his condolences said: "We deeply mourn the passing away of Y.C. Deveshwar, Chairman ITC. In this hour of profound grief and sorrow, we recall with respect and pride the legendary stewardship he provided to ITC over two decades as its Chairman. "In this hour of immense sadness, our hearts go out to his family, wife Bharti Deveshwar, children Gaurav and Garima and to their families to whom we offer our sincerest condolences."
Deveshwar, an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, and Harvard Business School, was invited by the Indian government, early in his career between 1991 and 1994, to serve as the Chairman and Managing Director of Air India, a period that is remembered for a turnaround in the national carrier with consistent profitability.
He served as a Director on the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India and as a Member of the National Foundation for Corporate Governance. He was also on the Board of Air India.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Factory owner kidnapped in filmy style from Palghar
- Mumbai Crime: Failed actor turns to chain snatching in local trains
- Tiger found dead in Melghat reserve
- Highway Gomantak in Bandra fight with hsg society over maintenance
- 6 dead as cars crash head-on trying to avoid biker near Palghar
- Toxic gas, lack of safety equipment cost workers their lives in Thane
- Byculla museum death: BMC orders probe, cops to wait before action
- Mumbai Crime: 63-yr-old doctor gets bail in molestation case in Bandra
- Mumbai volunteers refused space to stock up relief materials for Odisha
- Now, meds at Mumbai civic hospitals to have MCGM mark and bar, QR codes
- Maharashtra scientist discovers Mizo rain snake
- Mumbai: Law students relieved as GLC agrees to have retest
- Praveen Pardeshi to be new BMC chief
- After HC order, cops finally file FIR against 19-year-old's parents
- The dark side: Have you seen these 12 most haunted places in Mumbai?
- Himanshu Roy death anniversary: Mumbai's top cop whose life was cut short by suicide
- Kelly and Kody: The couple's steamy and dreamy photos are too hot to handle!
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
RJ Salil and Archana Get Brownie Points!