Mumbai Crime: Failed actor turns to chain snatching in local trains
The GRP, which had received complaints of 16 chain-snatching incidents, were working on the cases for the past two months.The accused had come to Mumbai to become an actor but turned into a criminal
The Government Railway Police (GRP) has arrested two alleged chain snatchers and seized gold ornaments worth Rs 12.92 lakh. Of the two, Mohammad Saif had come to Mumbai to become an actor, but turned into a criminal after failing to get a foothold in the film industry. The GRP, which had received complaints of 16 chain-snatching incidents, were working on the cases for the past two months, said DCP, Central Railways, M M Makandar. They were able to zero in on Saif on Sunday and arrested him from Dharavi.
"During interrogation, Saif revealed that he was working with his friend Shabir Shaikh and confessed to committing the crimes," Makandar said. The police arrested Shaikh on Monday. Saif and Shaikh were active for the past three years and used to target passengers, mostly senior citizen, on Konkan-bound trains. They would target the passengers whenever the train slowed down. They would snatch the jewellery and then jump on to the railway tracks and run away.
Around eight cases are registered against the duo at Thane railway police station, four at CSMT, and two each at Dadar and Kurla GRP stations. "We have recovered Rs 12.92 lakh worth of gold ornaments from them. They are from Uttar Pradesh and live in rented rooms. They would leave the city after committing the crimes," said an officer.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Factory owner kidnapped in filmy style from Palghar
- Mumbai Crime: Failed actor turns to chain snatching in local trains
- Tiger found dead in Melghat reserve
- Highway Gomantak in Bandra fight with hsg society over maintenance
- 6 dead as cars crash head-on trying to avoid biker near Palghar
- Toxic gas, lack of safety equipment cost workers their lives in Thane
- Byculla museum death: BMC orders probe, cops to wait before action
- Mumbai Crime: 63-yr-old doctor gets bail in molestation case in Bandra
- Mumbai volunteers refused space to stock up relief materials for Odisha
- Now, meds at Mumbai civic hospitals to have MCGM mark and bar, QR codes
- Maharashtra scientist discovers Mizo rain snake
- Mumbai: Law students relieved as GLC agrees to have retest
- Praveen Pardeshi to be new BMC chief
- After HC order, cops finally file FIR against 19-year-old's parents
- The dark side: Have you seen these 12 most haunted places in Mumbai?
- Himanshu Roy death anniversary: Mumbai's top cop whose life was cut short by suicide
- Kelly and Kody: The couple's steamy and dreamy photos are too hot to handle!
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe