Maharashtra government seeks explanation from IAS officer on controversial Gandhi tweet
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and the Congress party have also demanded strict action against Chaudhary after her tweet
Maharashtra state government sought explanations from IAS officer Nidhi Chaudhary on her controversial tweet of May 17 on Mahatma Gandhi.
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and the Congress party have also demanded strict action against Chaudhary after her tweet.
On May 17, Nidhi tweeted: "What an exceptional celebration of 150th birth year is going on. High time, we remove his face from our currency, his statutes from across the world, rename institutions/roads named after him! That would be a real tribute from all of us! ThankU Godse for 30.01.1948."
Her tweet coincided with the controversy, which erupted over Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur's, now an MP, statement that the killer of Mahatma Gandhi, Nathuram Godse, was a true patriot.
However, in her recent tweet, she said that her earlier tweet was misunderstood and she would never even dream of insulting Mahatma Gandhi.
"I have deleted my tweet of 17.05.2019 w.r.t. Gandhiji because some people misunderstood it. If only they had followed my timeline since 2011 they would've understood that I would NEVER even dream of insulting Gandhiji. I bow before him with the deepest regard and will do till my last breath," she tweeted.
I have deleted my tweet of 17.05.2019 w.r.t. GandhiJi because some people misunderstood it— Nidhi Choudhariðâªï¸âï¸â¸ï¸ (@nidhichoudhari) May 31, 2019
If only they had followed my timeline since 2011 they would've understood that I would NEVER even dream of insulting GandhiJi
I bow before him with deepest regard & will do till last breath pic.twitter.com/CSjaKHF9BJ
Top Stories of the day
- Dindoshi police hunt for man who fled after wife's mysterious death
- Badlapur man hacks 860 trees for daughter's wedding!
- Mumbai: Three teenagers rescue abandoned peachick wandering helplessly
- 27-year-old and 55-year-old commit suicide in Virar
- Mumbai rains: Marshals will patrol nullahs this monsoon
- Parents seek help from cops over kids' low marks at Andheri school
- Mumbai: Retired banker falls for 'cruise prize,' loses over Rs 81,000
- Anti-ragging committees in Mumbai colleges to be upgraded
- BJP, Shiv Sena to fight Maharashtra Assembly polls in 135 seats each
- Crack in wheel halts train near Manmad; no injuries
- How to correctly handle ragging? Akola college shows the way
- Bajrang Dal: No firearms used at Mira Road school training camp
- Raj Thackeray's party MNS: Hindi not our mother tongue, don't enforce it on us
- Remembering the life and times of Gopinath Munde
- Socialite Queenie Singh, husband Rishi Sethia's luxurious lifestyle is amazing
- Tracing the journey of 'Thalaiva' - From M Karunanidhi To Kalaignar!
- SRK, Salman Khan, Iulia Vantur, Arbaaz-Giorgia, Katrina Kaif at Baba Siddique's Iftar party
- Do you know the loves stories of these famous couples?
- From Wanted to Bharat: Salman Khan's saga of Eid release continues
- GQ Best Dressed Awards 2019: Katrina Kaif, Mandira Bedi, Nushrat Bharucha, Sonam Kapoor attend
- Bandra spotted: Janhvi Kapoor and Malaika Arora ace the gym look
- Bharat: Salman Khan's eidi doesn't make its way to fans?
- Jawaani Jaaneman: Reverse-ageing for Saif Ali Khan with a different hair-do
- Yami Gautam on Kaabil's release in China: Some ideas don't age
- Aparshakti Khurana: Ayushmann is very strict when it comes to career
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai building collapse claims 5 lives