Jawaani Jaaneman: Reverse-ageing for Saif Ali Khan with a different hair-do
Saif Ali Khan's Jaawani Jaaneman hair stylist Aalim on making the actor look a decade younger for the role of a father
Slipping into the role of a father in Nitin Kakkar's family drama, Jawaani Jaaneman, Saif Ali Khan, one would assume, would add a tinge of grey to the wavy locks and facial fuzz that's now become synonymous with his appearance. But it is his summer-ready crew cut, sported at recent appearances and family gatherings, that has taken cinephiles by surprise. Fans of the actor have celebrity hairstylist Hakim Aalim to thank for shaving off years from Khan's appearance for the film, which marks the debut of Pooja Bedi's daughter Alaia Furniturewalla.
"Saif can pull off a lot of hairstyles, so, working with him is easy," says Aalim, adding that he decided to go chop-chop on Khan's mane after a series of brainstorming sessions with Kakad. "Over the last five years, he hasn't sported a hairstyle like this. He has a young face, and a spunky spirit, so we decided to go for a faded beard, with short spikes on top. It reminds people of him from older times, which is why they find it appealing. He looks 10 years younger; cool and sexy."
Khan's "chameleon-like quality" of becoming the character he plays, enables stylists like Aalim to accordingly set his appearances. "When working on films like Saalam Namaste and Omkara, he became [my] inspiration. But, for this film, we needed something fresh. Also, Saif has an intrinsic style. He doesn't need many frills or even a stylist."
The final appearance that they arrived at is devoid of the drama that initially became part of discussions, he says. "We considered giving him tattoos and earrings too, apart from a thick beard. But, during a final meeting at a suburban hotel, we made a sketch of the look, and finalised this." Yet, he promises, there's more to come. "There will be a few surprises, even in terms of the look. There are a few more, which I can't reveal. I will travel to London to be on the sets, and create something on the spot."
Top entertainment stories of the day:
- SRK, Salman Khan, Iulia Vantur, Arbaaz-Giorgia, Katrina Kaif at Baba Siddique's Iftar party
- Do you know the loves stories of these famous couples?
- From Wanted to Bharat: Salman Khan's saga of Eid release continues
- GQ Best Dressed Awards 2019: Katrina Kaif, Mandira Bedi, Nushrat Bharucha, Sonam Kapoor attend
- Bandra spotted: Janhvi Kapoor and Malaika Arora ace the gym look
- Bharat: Salman Khan's eidi doesn't make its way to fans?
- Jawaani Jaaneman: Reverse-ageing for Saif Ali Khan with a different hair-do
- Yami Gautam on Kaabil's release in China: Some ideas don't age
- Aparshakti Khurana: Ayushmann is very strict when it comes to career
- Ali Abbas Zafar on Bharat: You can't write a romantic scene with Salman and Katrina
- #MeToo: Vikas Bahl takes credit as director for Hrithik Roshan-starrer Super 30 again
- Taimur, Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan's vacation pics from Tuscany look like great fun
- Sonam Kapoor shuts down 'mediawallas' on Katrina Kaif's comment with this post
- Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Dhoom 4 in the making?
- Katrina Kaif and other B-town beauties make heads turn at Baba Siddique's Iftar party
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Here's what Saif Ali Khan is doing before Sacred Games 2 releases!