Man killed as portion of cladding collapses at Churchgate due to heavy wind
Madhukar Appa Narvekar (62) died when a part of the 81 ft x 54 ft mural of Mahatma Gandhi, fell on him at the Churchgate railway station
A pedestrian was killed on Wednesday after a portion of a cladding fell on him at the bustling Churchgate railway station, officials said. Madhukar Appa Narvekar (62) was passing through Churchgate station building when the portion, part of the 81 ft x 54 ft mural of Mahatma Gandhi, fell on him, a railway official said.
Watch the video here:
Here's footage of how the passing #CycloneVayu brought down a few panels on Churchgate station building leading to the death of a senior citizen and a few other pedestrians @mid_day pic.twitter.com/FKq9MFTzik— Rajendra B. Aklekar (@rajtoday) June 12, 2019
Pic courtesy/Rajendra B. Aklekar
Narvekar was rushed to a nearby hospital but succumbed to injuries on his head and chest. It was not clear if he was a railway commuter or just a passerby but in either case, compensation will be given, he said. The cladding fell due to a strong wind blowing from seaside and it could not withstand wind pressure, he said.
Pic courtesy/Rajendra B. Aklekar
The cladding was part of the 81 ft x 54 ft mural of Mahatma Gandhi, installed in November 2017 at the station building, the official said. It is the work of Brazilian street artist Eduardo Kobra who paid homage to Gandhi with the mural on the facade of Churchgate station. Kobra has also painted a mural of Nelson Mandela in Rome.
With inputs from Rajendra B. Aklekar
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Father, son killed after wall collapses due to heavy rain in Hyderabad