Mumbai Crime: DRI seize Rs 1.1 crore worth smuggled cigarettes at Kalbadevi
Reportedly, the 60 cartons consisted of 6,73,120 cigarettes of various brands such as Benson &Hedges, Gudang Garam, Marlboro, 555, Paris etc
The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) on Sunday recovered illegal Cigarettes of foreign origin worth Rs 1.01 crores from Cargo courier company at Chira Bazar Mumbai. The raid was conducted after receiving a tip-off from informers.
DRI MZU officers seized 60 cartons of Cigarettes of foreign origin under the Customs Act. Reportedly, the 60 cartons consisted of 6,73,120 cigarettes of various brands such as Benson &Hedges, Gudang Garam, Marlboro, 555, Paris etc.
Following the raid, Bipin Singh, Owner of the cargo company was arrested and produced him at a court in Mumbai, where Singh has been sentenced to judicial custody till June 25th for investigation.
In another incident, officials of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) seized 1121.5 kilograms of cannabis, valued around Rs 1 crore 68 lakhs, from a Sholapur-bound truck in Hyderabad. Officials intercepted the truck at Panthangi Toll Plaza on Vijayawada-Hyderabad National Highway.
After searching the vehicle, officials found 546 high-density polyethylene (HDPE) packages wrapped with biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) self-adhesive tape weighing more than a ton of Cannabis, also known as Ganja. The said Narcotic drug and the truck which was used for concealment and transportation of the contraband was seized under provisions of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, 1985.
DRI officials have also arrested three persons, including the mastermind in the case.
In a similar incident that took place in April 2019, a Russian couple was arrested for allegedly growing and possessing cannabis plants by the Crime Branch of the state police.
"Grigorii Fomenko, 32, and his wife Viktoriia Fomenko, 29, were arrested from their rented premises in Siolim Anjuna. They were growing cannabis plants in flower pots," said Superintendent of Police, Crime Branch, Pankaj Kumar Singh.
In a raid conducted on their rented premises, the police seized 118 gm ganja, 380 gm stem of cannabis and other proscribed material, he said. The couple had arrived in India in November last year on a tourist visa, which was valid up to April 18, 2019.
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Watch video: Mumbai to get another sea-link worth 7,500 crore