Raj Thackeray turn 51: Some lesser known facts about MNS founder
Raj Thackeray apart from being the founder of MNS is also an orator, music lover and a cartoonist!
Raj Thackeray, the founder of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena was born on June 14, 1968, to Kunda and Shrikant Thackeray. Raj Thackeray's father Shrikant was the younger brother of Bal Thackeray while his mother was the younger sister of Bal Thackeray's wife Meena Thackeray. Raj Thackeray is the founder of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) and a cousin of Uddhav Thackeray. He is the nephew of Shiv Sena supremo, Bal Thackeray. In 2006, he resigned from his uncle's party and announced his intention to start a new political party in Mumbai. Raj Thackeray on 9 March 2006 founded a party, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena.
Raj Thackeray is political leader, orator and a cartoonist. Raj Thackeray was ventured into politics from an early age, as he had attended innumerable rallies with his uncle Bal Thackeray. Raj Thackeray is married to Sharmila Wagh who is the daughter of Marathi cinema photographer, producer-director Mohan Wagh. The couple is blessed with two children, son Amit Thackeray and daughter Urvashi Thackeray. He was a music lover and learned to play the guitar, tabla and the violin at a young age.
Raj also contributed cartoons to Marmik, the weekly magazine that was started by the late Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray. Raj Thackeray is known for relentlessly voicing his opinion for the Marathi people. During the 2014 Maharashtra Assembly elections, Raj Thackeray soft-launched his son Amit into politics and held road shows across the city. During the civic polls in 2017, Amit started a Facebook page to interact with the youth.
Top stories of the day
- 'Our whole life destroyed, why should he live?'
- Mumbai: Andheri colony locals shudder at tree breaks
- Rain, wind make cladding around Gandhi mural fall on man, killing him
- Esplanade should be fixed, not demolished, say heritage committee
- Parts of Mumbai may face 10-15 percent water cut till June 14
- Mumbai police help disaster management gain traction on Twitter
- Maoists arrested in May 1 Gadchiroli attack case sent to police custody
- SGNP hosts firefly show despite environmentalists' red flag
- Cabinet expansion: Shiv Sena loyalists likely to miss ministerial berth
- 'Exclude marks given to SSC students for art, sports too'
- Uran graffiti man was in touch with terror suspects, say cops
- Man beheads nephew to 'appease deities' for bountiful harvest
- Rare photos of Mukesh Ambani with wife Nita, parents Dhirubhai and Kokilaben you should not miss!
- Pune police raid 83-year-old activist's Ranchi home
- Ola driver returning customer's wallet restores man's faith in humanity
- Aaditya Thackeray: The young Shiv Sena leader turns 29 today
- Aaditya Thackeray interacts with officials at BMC headquarters in SoBo
- Gujarat on alert as cyclonic storm Vayu moves towards coast
- Heavy showers and cyclone alert in Mumbai!
- Have you seen these fabulous pictures of Disha Patani?
- Bandra Diaries: Ananya Panday, Diana Penty, Krystle D'souza, Nidhhi Agerwal spotted
- Janhvi Kapoor, Mira Rajput, Kriti Sanon sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Juhu Diaries: Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan look from the next film goes viral
- Shahid Kapoor reveals an intimate detail about his relationship with wife Mira
- Stuart Broad's Nottingham pub does not revolve around cricket
- World Cup 2019: India hope to manage injuries and weather against NZ
- Sania Mirza slams 'cringeworthy' TV ads hyping the Indo-Pak WC match
- Rishabh Pant got nod for WC because he is lefty, says Sanjay Bangar
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe