Thane: Woman alleges husband gave her 'triple talaq' on WhatsApp
The victim, who is physically disabled, in her complaint said she got married to a man from Kalyan town here on May 18, 2014
A 23-year-old woman in Thane, Maharashtra on Monday alleged that her husband divorced her by sending a 'triple talaq' message on her mobile phone. The complaint was filed by Bhoiwada police station's senior inspector Kalyan Karpe who said they received a complaint from the woman and were seeking a legal opinion on it.
The victim, who is differently abled, in her complaint said she got married to a man from Kalyan town in Thane on May 18, 2014. She alleged that her in-laws constantly harassed her and her husband demanded Rs 10 lakh from her before throwing her out of the house.
The woman, currently staying at her parent's place in Bhiwandi town in Thane, further alleged that she recently received the 'triple talaq' message on WhatsApp from her husband. She then tried to call her husband who refused to speak to her. Karpe said that the victim approached the police with her complaint, saying she does not want to divorce her husband.
The official said, "We are yet to register the complaint and are taking a legal opinion on it. The Supreme Court in August 2017 ruled that the practice of divorce through triple talaq among Muslims was "void", "illegal" and "unconstitutional".
Top stories of the day
- Death by Garbage: Man dies under weight of waste in Kurla
- Video: Minor boys perform death-defying stunt on Mumbai local train
- Mumbai: CSMT's hi-tech indicators make commuters unhappy
- Mumbai Crime: 55-year old doctor rapes model in Versova; arrested
- Visually challenged Mumbai boy 95 percent in ICSE
- Banned stapler pins on your tea bags? FDA is waiting for your complaint
- Talaq, not qubool, says Bhiwandi woman to husband
- Four cars catch fire in two days on Mumbai-Pune Expressway
- Mumbai: Drop in road accident deaths in city, suburbs
- Mumbai: Relief for flat owner who owes society dues of Rs 4.91 lakh
- 42 cats, dogs rescued from 'unhygienic' Virar flat
- Kumbh pe kharcha and other matters in polls pe charcha
- S K Patil Udyan in south Mumbai opens after eight months
- 'Joblessness is the real terrorism'
- Researchers at IITB develop first ever microprocessor, major boon for India's electronics
- Twitterati reacts to Narendra Modi's comment on Gandhi family using INS Viraat as personal taxi
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Thane: Woman cop allegedly thrashed by Shiv Sena worker