World Cup 2019: Lasith Malinga to leave for Sri Lanka to mourn mother-in-law's death
The 35-year old Lankan pacer is likely to return ahead of Sri Lanka's next match against Australia on June 15, 2019
Sri Lanka pacer Lasith Malinga will be flying back home to Sri Lanka after his side's clash against Bangladesh, which is scheduled to be played today, as Malinga's mother-in-law has passed away.
However, the 35-year old Lankan pacer is likely to join the team in their next match which will be played against Australia on June 15, 2019.
"Lasith Malinga will leave the team following Sri Lanka's World Cup Game against Bangladesh, which will be played today, as his Mother-In-Law has passed away. He is expected to join the team, before the team's next #CWC19 game, which will be played against Australia on 15th," Sri Lanka Cricket tweeted.
After Sri Lanka faced a massive 10-wicket defeat at the hands of New Zealand, they managed to win their next match against Afghanistan by 34 runs. Malinga shined in the match as he took three wickets in the match and gave away just 39 runs from his 6.4 over.
However, their third match against Pakistan was abandoned without a ball bowled due to rain.
Sri Lanka will now compete with Bangladesh at Bristol County Ground today.
Inputs from ANI
Top stories of the day
- Mumbai receives cyclonic rain before monsoon hits around June 15
- Mumbai: Esplanade holds key to heritage tag for whole precinct
- Mumbai Crime: Auto driver threatens to sever traffic cop's head, arrested in Khar
- Mumbai: NEET topper's face in ads of 3 different classes raises hackles
- Mumbai: Two die after auto crushed between dumper, private bus on EEH
- Mumbai: Chaos alert as BMC shuts old bridges in Juhu and Oshiwara
- Politicians to plant 9,000 trees for the 3,000 hacked over Metro 4 work
- Dr Ram Puniyani: To label me anti-Hindu is a carefully constructed prism'
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Court proceedings in Dr Payal Tadvi's case to be recorded on video
- Mumbai Crime: IIT scholar who stalked woman for 5 years held in Bihar
- BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi: New zoo will help preserve Aarey better
- Sewri police arrest 'smart' thieves; discover plan to rob jewellery shops
- Mumbai: Two kids and five dogs electrocuted in first showers
- Nmami Agarwal: Celebrity nutritionist who has trained Manushi Chhillar
- Mumbai Rains: City welcomes first heavy showers of monsoon
- Masaba Gupta looks gorgeous in all-white ensemble
- Woman on flight opens emergency exit door mistaking it for toilet
- Tanuja on the road to recovery; Kajol shares a picture with mother
- Man stabbed to death by his friend over ludo game
- World Cup 2019: Anushka Sharma can't stop praising husband Virat Kohli's on-field gesture
- Yuvraj Singh receives a standing ovation from rumoured ex-girlfriend Kim Sharma on his retirement
- Yuvraj Singh: Cricket taught me to fight, fall, dust myself and get up
- World Cup 2019: ICC needs to take a serious look at the LED bails
- An era ends with Girish Karnad; last rites take place in Bengaluru
- Dino Morea and Shibani Dandekar spotted at an eatery in Bandra
World Cup 2019: This MS Dhoni hotel in Bengal serves free food to all Dhoni fans