Dream Girl director Raaj Shaandilyaa on the Ayushmann Khurrana-starrer's quirky title
Ayushmann Khurrana in Dream Girl; (right) Hema Malini
Hema Malini is known as the Dream Girl, but in 2019, Ayushmann Khurrana is eyeing the title," says writer-director Raaj Shaandilya, whose next borrows its name from the 1971 film. The comedy sees Khurrana play a small-town guy who bags the role of Sita in Ram-Leela, owing to his ability to speak in a female voice.
"He gave his nod to the film in 10 minutes. Ayushmann will be seen in different avatars. The story is such that he has to stay in disguise to save himself. We wanted a quirky title that would justify the story," says Shaandilyaa, who has previously written sketches for Comedy Circus and Comedy Night With Kapil. He credits fellow writer Nirvaan for the wacky storyline. "Ayushmann often jokes that this is the first time he is working with a director younger than him, and I turned him into a woman."
Top entertainment stories of the day:
- Aamir Khan back to his Pali Hill apartment after owners refuse to leave their flats for his bungalow
- Bandra Diaries: Malaika Arora shows off her sultry side in this all-black gym gear
- Bandra Diaries: Janhvi Kapoor's mesh insert all-black gym gear is breaking the internet
- Photos: When Salman Khan sported ganji at Amrita Kak's wedding
- Tarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah's Disha Vakani buys a swanky car; see photo
- Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt's Bhuj: The Pride Of India goes on floors in October
- Boney Kapoor on Mr India sequel: After Sridevi, I have even more reason to make the film
- Ganesh Acharya on Jaaved Jaaferi's son: I have an emotional attachment with Meezaan
- Huma Qureshi bags Zack Snyder's Army Of The Dead
- Pregnant Sameera Reddy enjoys babymoon with family in Goa; see photos
- Watch video: After fight with cancer, Sonali Bendre gets a makeover