BMC: 81 percent juices sold on roadsides unfit for consumption
The sale of lemon and other synthetically flavoured juices made my mixing water goes up in the summer season, another civic official noted. He, however, appealed to people not to consume such juices being sold on roadside stalls
Almost 81 per cent of juices and drinks being sold on roadside stalls in Mumbai are unsafe for human consumption, according to the city civic body. The health department of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation last month inspected several stalls on roadsides here selling lemonade, sugarcane juice and ice pops.
"Out of tor 968 samples of such drinks collected from various stalls, 786 (around 81.1 per cent) were found to be unsafe and unfit for consumption," a senior civic official said on Wednesday. The civic body has decided to act tough against vendors selling such unhygienic drinks which may cause water- borne diseases among consumers, he said.
"The civic officials have been regularly inspecting roadside stalls and destroying such contaminated drinks. We don't want to take any chance with people's health," he said. The Central Railway in March banned sale of lemon and other syrup-based juices at food stalls under its jurisdiction after a video of such a drink being prepared unhygienically went viral on social media.
The sale of lemon and other synthetically flavoured juices made my mixing water goes up in the summer season, another civic official noted. He, however, appealed to people not to consume such juices being sold on roadside stalls.
Top stories of the day
- Death by Garbage: Man dies under weight of waste in Kurla
- Video: Minor boys perform death-defying stunt on Mumbai local train
- Mumbai: CSMT's hi-tech indicators make commuters unhappy
- Mumbai Crime: 55-year old doctor rapes model in Versova; arrested
- Visually challenged Mumbai boy 95 percent in ICSE
- Banned stapler pins on your tea bags? FDA is waiting for your complaint
- Talaq, not qubool, says Bhiwandi woman to husband
- Four cars catch fire in two days on Mumbai-Pune Expressway
- Mumbai: Drop in road accident deaths in city, suburbs
- Mumbai: Relief for flat owner who owes society dues of Rs 4.91 lakh
- 42 cats, dogs rescued from 'unhygienic' Virar flat
- Kumbh pe kharcha and other matters in polls pe charcha
- S K Patil Udyan in south Mumbai opens after eight months
- 'Joblessness is the real terrorism'
- Researchers at IITB develop first ever microprocessor, major boon for India's electronics
- Twitterati reacts to Narendra Modi's comment on Gandhi family using INS Viraat as personal taxi
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe