A fine of Rs 2,000 was also imposed on the accused Vilas Kakade
A Maharashtra court has sentenced a 27-year-old man to two-year rigorous imprisonment for molesting a teenaged girl.
Special judge (POCSO court) S A Sinha in her order on Friday also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on the accused Vilas Kakade.
According to the prosecution, Kakade used to stalk the 15-year-old girl on way to her school in Manpada area of Thane city following which she informed her parents, who warned the accused.
On November 2, 2017, the accused molested the Class 10 girl when she was returning home from her school. He also slit his wrist with a knife and told her she would be blamed if he committed suicide.
On January 30, 2018, the accused again approached the girl when she was returning home from school and threatened her.
The girl's parents then filed a police complaint following which the accused was arrested and booked under Indian Penal Code Section 354 (assault or criminal force on woman with an intent to outrage her modesty) and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
The judge said the girl's testimony is important and fully corroborated by her mother, whom she informed about the offence.
The girl's mother took the right step to caution the accused against his behaviour, but in vain, she noted.
Another prosecution witness, who used to accompany the girl, supported and corroborated the victim's testimony, the judge observed.
"Therefore, there is no reason to disbelieve the prosecution witnesses. Their evidence is truthful, reliable and trustworthy," she said in her order.
In a similar incident, a 24-year-old man was arrested by the Government Railway Police on Saturday for molesting a college student at Dadar station.
The incident occurred around 12.45pm on Saturday, when she was on her way from the Western line to the Central line at Dadar station.
She stopped on the FOB after walking a bit and the accused approached her from behind and touched her inappropriately.
Top News stories of the day
- Mumbai: Derailment at Kurla disrupts Central Railway train services
- Mumbai crime: Popular salon stylist groped me, says actress
- Mumbai: Behind PG medico's suicide, constant barbs in WhatsApp groups
- Blood banks that don't update stock status will lose licence
- Mumbai: 50-year-old critically injured in Jogeshwari gas explosion dies
- Narendra Modi visits mother Heeraben in Gandhinagar, seeks blessings
- Mumbai crime: FIR registered in Anurag Kashyap's tweet plaint
- Mumbai: Vikhroli Metro station to tower over EEH, JVLR
- Narendra Dabholkar murder: 'Defence lawyer's clerk arrested from Thane'
- Super volatile all this while
- Mumbai: Civic body to find out if parking under open spaces is possible
- Mumbai crime: Two fake cops trying to loot senior citizen arrested
- Mumbai: Western Railway's third AC local will roll out in December
- Daawat to dine
- A Himalayan feast
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies