Priyanka Chopra backs friend Meghan Markle, calls her victim of racism
In an interview with The Sunday Times as cited by People, Priyanka Chopra opened up about the criticism Meghan Markle faces and said that much of it is due to her biracial heritage
Priyanka Chopra defended good friend, Meghan Markle, addressing the negativity surrounding her since marrying Prince Harry and becoming a member of the royal family. In an interview with The Sunday Times as cited by People, Priyanka opened up about the criticism Meghan faces and said that much of it is due to her biracial heritage. Priyanka said that the media criticism is "really unfortunate," adding, "But if there's anyone who can handle it, it's her."
"I've seen that and it's really unfortunate. But if there's anyone who can handle it, it's her. Of course, it has to do with racism, it's an obvious reason," she said. Priyanka heaped praises on her friend, explaining that the former Suits star has remained grounded even after getting married to the Duke of Sussex. "The beauty of Meg is that she's been herself through all of this. A lot of people got to know her after everything, but I knew her before [she started dating Harry] and she's the same chick. Now she's got a real platform, she talks about the same things she always did," the Isn't It Romantic? star added.
In her interview, Priyanka also opened up about her friendship with Meghan. The two met at a dinner a few years ago and found that they shared similar interests. Priyanka's comments come after months of rumours of a feud between her and Meghan, which first sparked in December 2018 after the Duchess of Sussex, who was pregnant at that time, did not attend the actor's wedding to Nick Jonas in India. Priyanka dismissed the rumours on Andy Cohen's chat show in March.
Recently, Priyanka and Nick were reported to have visited Meghan, Harry and their newborn son Archie Harrison when they were clicked in London. Priyanka was also reported to give the baby gifts. However, Priyanka denied the report, calling it "untrue" and posted a clarification on her Twitter handle. She tweeted:
While these are great gift ideas... this story is untrue, and I was actually in town for work. I hope whoever this "source" is starts checking their facts more often. https://t.co/S2sDlEiLaZ— PRIYANKA (@priyankachopra) May 31, 2019
On the work front, Priyanka will be next seen in Shonali Bose's The Sky Is Pink and she has also signed up for a project with Mindy Kaling.
Top entertainment stories of the day:
- SRK, Salman Khan, Iulia Vantur, Arbaaz-Giorgia, Katrina Kaif at Baba Siddique's Iftar party
- Do you know the loves stories of these famous couples?
- From Wanted to Bharat: Salman Khan's saga of Eid release continues
- GQ Best Dressed Awards 2019: Katrina Kaif, Mandira Bedi, Nushrat Bharucha, Sonam Kapoor attend
- Bandra spotted: Janhvi Kapoor and Malaika Arora ace the gym look
- Bharat: Salman Khan's eidi doesn't make its way to fans?
- Jawaani Jaaneman: Reverse-ageing for Saif Ali Khan with a different hair-do
- Yami Gautam on Kaabil's release in China: Some ideas don't age
- Aparshakti Khurana: Ayushmann is very strict when it comes to career
- Ali Abbas Zafar on Bharat: You can't write a romantic scene with Salman and Katrina
- #MeToo: Vikas Bahl takes credit as director for Hrithik Roshan-starrer Super 30 again
- Taimur, Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan's vacation pics from Tuscany look like great fun
- Sonam Kapoor shuts down 'mediawallas' on Katrina Kaif's comment with this post
- Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Dhoom 4 in the making?
- Katrina Kaif and other B-town beauties make heads turn at Baba Siddique's Iftar party
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from ANI
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe