Watch video: Cameras on railway tracks alert about boulder fall near Lonavala, avert major mishap
A major accident was averted after the cameras and communication systems installed in the Mumbai-Pune Bhor Ghat mountain section alerted authorities of a landslide on the rail tracks at Monkey Hill near Lonavala
On June 13, 2019, a major accident was averted after the cameras and communication systems installed in the Mumbai-Pune Bhor Ghat section of the Central Railway alerted the authorities of a landslide that had occurred on the tracks at Monkey Hill near Lonavala. Despite preparations like trimming of rocks and mountain edges, the landslide occurred at around 8 pm on Thursday.
Watch the boulder fall on railway tracks here:
ALERT! Boulder collapse! A major accident was averted after cameras & communication systems installed in the Mumbai-Pune Bhor Ghat mountain section of @Central_Railway alerted the authorities of a landslide at Monkey Hill near Lonavala on the rail tracks tonight. @mid_day pic.twitter.com/j49VHqZZuY— Rajendra B. Aklekar (@rajtoday) June 13, 2019
"The cameras and communication system set in Ghat section proved it's utility when the boulder falling incidence on the line was captured and conveyed immediately thereby switching off overhead wires and stopping traffic well in time," a Central Railway spokesperson said.
Post the incidence, traffic was cleared and trains began to run once again at a restricted speed of 30kmph. A part of vertical rock (2.2m L * 1.6 H *2.3 W) came out probably due to contraction and expansion effects of intermittent rain and sunshine.
The Sahyadri Express CSMT Kolhapur train which was stopped due to the boulder incident left the site for its destination via midline after pulling back to the rear station. The stranded passengers of the train were served a bottle of water and biscuits packs on a complimentary basis at Lonavala Station.
Top stories of the day
- 'Our whole life destroyed, why should he live?'
- Mumbai: Andheri colony locals shudder at tree breaks
- Rain, wind make cladding around Gandhi mural fall on man, killing him
- Esplanade should be fixed, not demolished, say heritage committee
- Parts of Mumbai may face 10-15 percent water cut till June 14
- Mumbai police help disaster management gain traction on Twitter
- Maoists arrested in May 1 Gadchiroli attack case sent to police custody
- SGNP hosts firefly show despite environmentalists' red flag
- Cabinet expansion: Shiv Sena loyalists likely to miss ministerial berth
- 'Exclude marks given to SSC students for art, sports too'
- Uran graffiti man was in touch with terror suspects, say cops
- Man beheads nephew to 'appease deities' for bountiful harvest
- Rare photos of Mukesh Ambani with wife Nita, parents Dhirubhai and Kokilaben you should not miss!
- Pune police raid 83-year-old activist's Ranchi home
- Ola driver returning customer's wallet restores man's faith in humanity
- Aaditya Thackeray: The young Shiv Sena leader turns 29 today
- Aaditya Thackeray interacts with officials at BMC headquarters in SoBo
- Gujarat on alert as cyclonic storm Vayu moves towards coast
- Heavy showers and cyclone alert in Mumbai!
- Have you seen these fabulous pictures of Disha Patani?
- Bandra Diaries: Ananya Panday, Diana Penty, Krystle D'souza, Nidhhi Agerwal spotted
- Janhvi Kapoor, Mira Rajput, Kriti Sanon sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Juhu Diaries: Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan look from the next film goes viral
- Shahid Kapoor reveals an intimate detail about his relationship with wife Mira
- Stuart Broad's Nottingham pub does not revolve around cricket
- World Cup 2019: India hope to manage injuries and weather against NZ
- Sania Mirza slams 'cringeworthy' TV ads hyping the Indo-Pak WC match
- Rishabh Pant got nod for WC because he is lefty, says Sanjay Bangar
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Watch video: Massive fire guts chemical factory at Badlapur near Mumbai