Mumbai Crime: Disabled man rapes orphan for month in Bhayander; gets 10 years in jail
A special court convicted a disabled man for raping a minor who had run away from a shelter home
A special court convicted a disabled man for raping a minor on Wednesday who had run away from a shelter home. The accused has been sentenced to 10-years imprisonment with a fine of Rs 10,000 imposed on him. The victim had lost her mother and did not know about her father's whereabouts hence she sought refuge at a shelter home in Mumbai Central.
The victim used to go to a nearby school where the shelter home caretakers would drop her and pick her up after school hours. The girl had been at the shelter home for six months but did not like being in the school hence she ran away from school in November 2014. The girl reached the nearest railway station and having found her unaccompanied, the accused identified as Dhanesh Kumar took her to Bhayandar and raped her inside a vacant train compartment.
Meanwhile, the shelter home authorities registered a missing complaint against the victim with the Mumbai police. Over the next month, the accused who is a disabled man kept moving the victim from one place to another and even brought her to his uncle's house where she was raped by the elderly uncle as well. After a month later, the accused dropped the girl near the shelter home. There the girl was noticed by some of the other shelter home girls while he fled. The victim was immediately taken to hospital where the doctors confirmed that she had been raped.
According to India Today, Geeta Sharma, the public prosecutor had a difficult task before her as the victim did not have any single documents to prove that she was a minor. hence the prosecutor brought in the doctor who had examined the victim when she was admitted to the shelter home who told the court that the girl was a minor. The judge after hearing arguments from both the sides convicted Dhanesh Kumar for raping the minor girl.
Top stories of the day
- 'Our whole life destroyed, why should he live?'
- Mumbai: Andheri colony locals shudder at tree breaks
- Rain, wind make cladding around Gandhi mural fall on man, killing him
- Esplanade should be fixed, not demolished, say heritage committee
- Parts of Mumbai may face 10-15 percent water cut till June 14
- Mumbai police help disaster management gain traction on Twitter
- Maoists arrested in May 1 Gadchiroli attack case sent to police custody
- SGNP hosts firefly show despite environmentalists' red flag
- Cabinet expansion: Shiv Sena loyalists likely to miss ministerial berth
- 'Exclude marks given to SSC students for art, sports too'
- Uran graffiti man was in touch with terror suspects, say cops
- Man beheads nephew to 'appease deities' for bountiful harvest
- Rare photos of Mukesh Ambani with wife Nita, parents Dhirubhai and Kokilaben you should not miss!
- Pune police raid 83-year-old activist's Ranchi home
- Ola driver returning customer's wallet restores man's faith in humanity
- Aaditya Thackeray: The young Shiv Sena leader turns 29 today
- Aaditya Thackeray interacts with officials at BMC headquarters in SoBo
- Gujarat on alert as cyclonic storm Vayu moves towards coast
- Heavy showers and cyclone alert in Mumbai!
- Have you seen these fabulous pictures of Disha Patani?
- Bandra Diaries: Ananya Panday, Diana Penty, Krystle D'souza, Nidhhi Agerwal spotted
- Janhvi Kapoor, Mira Rajput, Kriti Sanon sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Juhu Diaries: Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan look from the next film goes viral
- Shahid Kapoor reveals an intimate detail about his relationship with wife Mira
- Stuart Broad's Nottingham pub does not revolve around cricket
- World Cup 2019: India hope to manage injuries and weather against NZ
- Sania Mirza slams 'cringeworthy' TV ads hyping the Indo-Pak WC match
- Rishabh Pant got nod for WC because he is lefty, says Sanjay Bangar
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai Crime: Man kills model after sex, stuffs body in suitcase