Cyclone Vayu has delayed the arrival of monsoon in Goa, says IMD director K.V. Padgalwar
Cyclone Vayu, which was all set to make landfall on the Gujarat coast in the early hours of June 13, has further delayed the arrival of the monsoon in Goa
Cyclone Vayu has passed from the state's coastline and is heading towards the Gujarat coast, but the cyclone has further delayed the arrival of the monsoon in Goa, state Indian Meteorological Department Director K.V. Padgalwar said on Thursday.
#CycloneVayu has passed from the state's coastline and is heading towards the #Gujarat coast, but the cyclone has further delayed the arrival of the #Monsoon in #Goa, state #IMD Director #KVPadgalwar said.— IANS Tweets (@ians_india) June 13, 2019
Photo: IANS pic.twitter.com/pGQcv5FuRv
"The cyclone has crossed Goa and is heading towards the Gujarat coastline. Diu, Somnath, Junagadh and Dwarka areas are likely to be affected. The wind speed of the cyclone is nearly 135 kmph to 145 kmph," Padgalwar told reporters in Panaji.
He said that the cyclone had further delayed the onset of monsoon in the coastal state.
"We had said that monsoon would begin between June 12 and 15, but because of Vayu it would be delayed further by some more days," he said.
On the other hand, on June 12, 2019, Mumbaikars were greeted by heavy rains and strong winds in the afternoon as Cyclone Vayu was all set to make landfall on the Gujarat coast in the early hours of June 13. Strong winds accompanied by heavy rains swept across the city as citizens were caught unprepared. Some parts of the city such as Thane, Vashi, BKC, etc. witnessed light rains with very strong winds.
Among the suburbs, Vashi witnessed good rains in the afternoon which were accompanied by a thunderstorm. According to Skymet weather, more part of Mumbai should expect rains as Cyclone Vayu is on abeam Mumbai right now. Besides Vashi, areas such as Mulund, Powai and Bandra have also witnessed rains along with neighboring areas of the city like Thane as well.
Due to heavy rains and strong winds taking the city by surprise, two incidents were reported from across the city where one was killed and three others were injured due to monsoon mishaps. In the quaint suburbs of Bandra, the metal sheet of a skywalk fell down near Bandra Talav on S V Road, Bandra, injuring three people in the process. The three injured were stable and undergoing treatment at Holy Family Hospital in Bandra West.
In another incident, a pedestrian was killed on Wednesday afternoon after a portion of a cladding fell on him at the bustling Churchgate railway station. The deceased, Madhukar Appa Narvekar (62) was passing through Churchgate station building when the portion, part of the 81 ft x 54 ft mural of Mahatma Gandhi, fell on him. Narvekar was rushed to a nearby hospital but succumbed to injuries on his head and chest. Read the full story here.
Top stories of the day
- 'Our whole life destroyed, why should he live?'
- Mumbai: Andheri colony locals shudder at tree breaks
- Rain, wind make cladding around Gandhi mural fall on man, killing him
- Esplanade should be fixed, not demolished, say heritage committee
- Parts of Mumbai may face 10-15 percent water cut till June 14
- Mumbai police help disaster management gain traction on Twitter
- Maoists arrested in May 1 Gadchiroli attack case sent to police custody
- SGNP hosts firefly show despite environmentalists' red flag
- Cabinet expansion: Shiv Sena loyalists likely to miss ministerial berth
- 'Exclude marks given to SSC students for art, sports too'
- Uran graffiti man was in touch with terror suspects, say cops
- Man beheads nephew to 'appease deities' for bountiful harvest
- Rare photos of Mukesh Ambani with wife Nita, parents Dhirubhai and Kokilaben you should not miss!
- Pune police raid 83-year-old activist's Ranchi home
- Ola driver returning customer's wallet restores man's faith in humanity
- Aaditya Thackeray: The young Shiv Sena leader turns 29 today
- Aaditya Thackeray interacts with officials at BMC headquarters in SoBo
- Gujarat on alert as cyclonic storm Vayu moves towards coast
- Heavy showers and cyclone alert in Mumbai!
- Have you seen these fabulous pictures of Disha Patani?
- Bandra Diaries: Ananya Panday, Diana Penty, Krystle D'souza, Nidhhi Agerwal spotted
- Janhvi Kapoor, Mira Rajput, Kriti Sanon sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Juhu Diaries: Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan look from the next film goes viral
- Shahid Kapoor reveals an intimate detail about his relationship with wife Mira
- Stuart Broad's Nottingham pub does not revolve around cricket
- World Cup 2019: India hope to manage injuries and weather against NZ
- Sania Mirza slams 'cringeworthy' TV ads hyping the Indo-Pak WC match
- Rishabh Pant got nod for WC because he is lefty, says Sanjay Bangar
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Monsoons to be normal this year, says IMD official